Remote input to initiate a Shutdown

TimJ

Remote input to initiate a Shutdown

Post by TimJ »

I need a hardware input to signal the Intense PC to do a shutdown. The system it is installed in can provide a contact closure or voltage presence or absence to initiate the shutdown. I hardwired a Micro Shutdown Controller from MP3car to the motherboard of a test system. Unfortunately the contact closure of the MicroShutdown controller relay sometimes holds too long and the power intermediately shuts off. Any sugestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

mbirger

Re: Remote input to initiate a Shutdown

Post by mbirger »

Do you work with open chassis or enclosed system?
Do you want to connect a remote power button?
Please explain the system and what you are trying to achieve?

SW3 (pins 2,3) is a power push button which operates PS_ON_SW# signal responsible for system power on/sleep/off, but it of course requires soldering to it.

TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Sorry for not being more clear. We have a enclosed system. We do currently solder to the power pins to do a hardwired / shutdown. Is there another way to detect a switch contact or voltage input , to do a shutdown, or possibly changing the length of time the power button is held to do a shutdown. We currently have the power settings configured for a shutdown on the power button press. Sometimes the shutdown controller presses the power button a bit too long , causing a power off instead. This is very bad for our Database in the system. I know we should be fixing the shutdown controller , but it is a commercial product and cannot be changed. Just grasping for ideas. Thanks

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Unfortunately not. There is no way to change this time duration.
Two ways to initiate a shutdown:
1. As explained earlier - Micro-controller GPIO asserts PS_ON_SW# signal responsible for system power on/sleep/off - easier in an open chassis platform.
2. Micro-controller GPIO to control external relay switch, that will cut power to the system. Of course, this is not graceful shutdown.

Return to “Power and heat”