Wifi Card RTL8723AE Linux Driver/Performance

silent_fan

Wifi Card RTL8723AE Linux Driver/Performance

Post by silent_fan »

Hi,

I'm currently trying to use the Wifi card in Linux Mint 17.1 (also tried it in Mint 17). The problem is that the card is not operating at full speed of the router (wireless g 54Mbps) and is actually running with 18Mbps Bitrate.
When connecting to the same network with a laptop via wifi Bit rate is at 54Mbps and download speed is around 2.2 MB/s, while Intense PC is around 1.4 MB/s. I am also having a high number of invalid misc packets, so I am guessing that current driver is not functioning well.
Also lots of people have trouble with the drivers on this wificard and Realtek doesn't have a official driver for Linux.
I saw that Linux mint 17 is supported by Intense PC http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/In ... :_Software

Do you have a driver for linux ?
Or provide the official ISO image Linux Mint 17 ?

Thanks.
Attachments
Wifi info.zip
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 670 times

mbirger

Re: Wifi Card RTL8723AE Linux Driver/Performance

Post by mbirger »

There is no special driver for Linux, but kernel built in driver only.
Official Linux Mint 17 can be downloaded from community website.

silent_fan

Post by silent_fan »

The official Mint 17, with default kernel doesn't achieve maximum wireless speed (54Mbps), only 18Mbps.
Does some else experience same issue with wifi network speeds on Linux?
Or my only solution is to buy a new wifi adapter which has a good support on Linux?

@mbirger Can you confirm that IntensePC can achieve full wireless N speed on Linux/or Linux Mint ?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Intense PC supports 802.11n wireless standard.
Intense PC using industry standard wireless module (Qcom), that has been tested by module manufacturer to support the declared standard. Wireless performance affected by many factors (ISP, internal network topology, OS settings, other network elements).

silent_fan

Post by silent_fan »

I managed to get better performance by using these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
echo "options rtl8723ae fwlps=0 swlps=0 " | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723ae.conf

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”