Watchdog problem revisited

vtailor

Watchdog problem revisited

Post by vtailor »

Talk about a clumsy, non-professional solution to a nasty problem, using a watchdog Timer to catch the system when it freezes.

How's this for a theory currently being tested? Turn the Phoenix bios upside down! Get rid of the bios watchdog function entirely. Instead, turn off hyperthreading in the bios. Modern operating systems do not need hyperthreading. They provide hyperthreading on their own. There is a strong likelihood that the interaction between bios hyperthreading and, say, Linux symmetric multiprocessing (smp) hyperthreading is what causes the freezing in the first place.

The downside of this theory is that the system may tend to be more jerky in operation, but this is not evident during, say, Windows XP SP3 intense flash video streaming, which actually "smooths out" after the initial moment. Well, I have the system running for over an hour now, occasional reluctance, but the cursor still moves freely in Linux by the live pendrive. The reluctance occurred while I was re-installing my base Linux system on the ssd hard drive by doing a cpio copy. But it wasn't a freeze, and I initiated this session while the other heavy-duty operation was going on.

So, turn off the bios hyperthreading, turn off the watchdog timer, turn off the "DOS", maybe WinXP, just maybe. And, of course, the trick to copy the patch program from the Win7 audio driver to the installed WinXP audio driver directory, and you get glorious Realtek surround sound with Windows noises going in Windows XP.

I wonder why both XP and Win7 have no available trim functions.

Return to “Windows on fit-PC2”